Self–care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Although it’s a simple concept in theory, it’s something we very often overlook. Good self–care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety(Psychcentral.com).
Self-care is important to maintaining a healthy relationship with yourself. It means doing things to take care of our minds, bodies, and souls by engaging in activities that promote well-being and reduce stress. Doing so enhances our ability to live fully, vibrantly, and effectively. The practice of self-care also reminds both you and others that your needs are valid and a priority(activeminds.org).
Here are two definitions of self-care. I thought I should do a post on this topic, because I believe most people forget to apply this in life. And I think it is important, during these times to have some self-care. It is important to nourish your mind, body and soul. It is a wonderful thing to do things for ourselves. We like to help others, but sometimes forget to help ourselves, and that can be a downfall for some.
Having some self-care time can help one become healthier, happier, refreshed and more at peace. Agnes Wainman explained, self-care is “something that refuels us, rather than takes from us.”(Psychcentral.com). I really like that explanation. Self-care is about doing something that benefits oneself physically, mentally,spiritually and emotionally. I like to list some things you can do to apply self-care in your lives. There are many things one can do to practice self-care.
- Take a walk(probably one of my favorite things to do, and always recharges me, and makes me feel refreshed)
- Give yourself a pedicure/manicure
- Meditate(another thing that relaxes my mind and body.
- Exercise(it is important for the body and mind to get at least 30 minutes of activity a day)
- Mindful time(avoiding distractions and allowing time to be with yourself and your thought can help you find peace and clarity)
- Eat nutritional foods(your body and mind need the right amount of nutrients to thrive)
- Take a hot bath
- Apply lotions/oils to body
- Journal(always good for oneself to get our thoughts out to the world, it is also helpful to look back on your words to see how you have grown as an individual, or how far you have come)
- Listen to your favorite music
- Read a book
- Go outside and lay down,watch the clouds, or look at the stars-depending on the time of day
- Put on a homemade facemask
- Have a splurge day(buying something you may not need, but enjoy buying, or eating something unhealthy, but enjoy eating once in awhile)
- Be creative(color,draw,compose,knit,crotchet,sew)
- Write down 5 positive things about yourself, and your life
- Try a new recipe
- Learn a new language
- Learn something new about something you find interesting
- Connect with family and friends(skype calls,or phone calls may be ideal at the moment)
- Dress up(even though you can’t go out, sometimes it is nice to just dress up for fun, do it for yourself.It might make you feel good.
- Watch/read inspirational stuff(whenever I feel uninspired/unmotivated, I always seek inspiration to get me back into my flow)
- Try crossword puzzle/sudoku
- Have your favorite meal or dessert
- Have a glass of wine
- Take time away from SNS(social media can create turmoil and negativity to your life, sometimes pulling away can be good for you)
- Go to a lake/beach(just hearing the water, looking at the water flow,just being there in nature can be therapeutic)
- Play an instrument
- Play board/video games
There are plenty of things you can try to apply self-care in your life. I wanted to remind you all to take care of yourself, and always try to seek ways to improve your mind and body, so one can live a happy, peaceful and fulfilled life. This can all be done by taking care of yourself by doing things you enjoy, and that can benefit your mind, body and soul. It is okay to do things for yourself every once in awhile. Everyone needs self-care time.