What exactly does being mentally healthy mean? We talk about physical health, but emphasis should also be put on mental health. How is one mentally healthy. There are many ideas of what constitutes as mentally healthy. The world health organization defines it as “a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to society.”
I have a couple of ideas of things that can fit into what defines a mentally healthy individual:
- Ability to cope with difficult situations
- Having a more positive, realistic approach to life
- Acceptance of life’s situations
- Ability to keep negative emotions at a minimum
All these factors can promote a healthy mindset. Mental health is about having clarity, awareness, understanding, and acceptance. The ability to practice mindfulness can cultivate a healthier mental mindset.
Helpguide.org mentions some other key components of being mentally healthy:
- A sense of contentment
- A zest for living and the ability to laugh and have fun.
- The ability to deal with stress and bounce back from adversity.
- A sense of meaning and purpose, in both their activities and their relationships.
- The flexibility to learn new skills and adapt to change.
- A balance between work and play, rest and activity, etc.
- The ability to build and maintain fulfilling relationships.
- Self-confidence and high self-esteem.
I just like to mention that having a mental disorder does not mean one can not be mentally healthy. It can be a disruption to one’s life, but it doesn’t define the person, and one can learn to cope with it, and live a mentally healthy and fulfilling life.
It is important to focus on our mental health. Being mentally healthy helps us navigate and cope through this unpredictable and stressful world we live in. It allows us to see things more positively, and gives us the opportunity to figure things out, and problem-solve.
In the article of Building Better Mental Health by Helpguide.org they define it wonderfully, they state ” Strong mental health isn’t just the absence of mental health problems. Being mentally or emotionally healthy is much more than being free of depression, anxiety, or other psychological issues. Rather than the absence of mental illness, mental health refers to the presence of positive characteristics.” I truly believe it is important to put just as much emphasis on mental health as physical health. I holistic approach to our well-being is important to living a peaceful and fulfilling life.